Iain Peter was educated in Scotland and attended Strathclyde Universtiy.
Positions held in the field of outdoor education and training since 1978 have included:
- Instructor Benmore OEC
- Instructor Glenmore Lodge National Centre
- Instructor International School of Mountaineering, Leysin, Switzerland
- Training Administrator, British Mountaineering Council
- Executive Secretary, United Kingdom Mountain Training Board
- Chief Executive, Mountain Training Trust, Plas y Brenin
- Director Adventure Activities Associates Ltd.
Other Professional and Voluntary Experience
- Chair, North West Wales Outdoor Recreation Partnership
- Represented NGB’s on AAIAC
- Advisor to Welsh Assembly Government Sports Policy Unit
- Active within BMC for over 16 years
- Past member of AHOEC
- Outdoor commercial consultant and advisor (Berghaus, Cheetham Bell etc.)
- Expedition Guide on some of the world’s highest mountains
- Extensive experience of working with the voluntary, private and public sectors.
Outdoor Qualifications and Experience
- International Mountain Guide (UIAGM / IFMGA / IVBV)
- Mountain Leader Winter Award
- Involved in the setting of standards, training and assessment of candidates for ML, MIC, SPA, WGL and IML Awards • Qualified BASI ski instructor
- Extensive world wide climbing and mountaineering experience with significant ascents in North and South America, Argentina, Pakistan, India, Nepal and Tibet
- Member of Alpine Club, Scottish Mountaineering Club, Climbers Club
- Co-author "Handbook of Climbing"
- Contributor / presenter on various technical videos including "Winter Essentials" and “"The Complete Alpine Experience" Contributor to the "Good Skiing Guide".